HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Will I eventually be undetectable?

Hi Doctor!

I just recently started on Atripla (Been just over 2 months). I just went back and had the news that my t-cell count went from 350 to 480. My viral load went from 17,000 to 137. My question is, will I eventually be undetectable? How long does it take to become undetectable? Does everyone become undetectable? Thanks!

Bruin98

Response from Dr. Sherer

In general, it takes 3-6 months to develop an undetectable viral load. GIven the level at which you started, and your most recent value, you are likely to be undetectable when you next check your viral load. The degree of increase in your CD4 cell count is a good indication of the positive response to Atripla.

Remember that its only effective if you take it exactly as prescribed every day. If you can maintain solid adherence without any lapses, you can expect to continue to have this fine outcome, which is now seen in around 80% of patients taking this regimen after two years.

I urge you, in general, to ask these key questions of your own physician, as he or she may have important information about your case that I lack.

cd4 estimate dr young
Medication break and resistance