Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will I eventually be undetectable?
Nov 3, 2008

Hi Doctor!

I just recently started on Atripla (Been just over 2 months). I just went back and had the news that my t-cell count went from 350 to 480. My viral load went from 17,000 to 137. My question is, will I eventually be undetectable? How long does it take to become undetectable? Does everyone become undetectable? Thanks!

Bruin98

Response from Dr. Sherer

In general, it takes 3-6 months to develop an undetectable viral load. GIven the level at which you started, and your most recent value, you are likely to be undetectable when you next check your viral load. The degree of increase in your CD4 cell count is a good indication of the positive response to Atripla.

Remember that its only effective if you take it exactly as prescribed every day. If you can maintain solid adherence without any lapses, you can expect to continue to have this fine outcome, which is now seen in around 80% of patients taking this regimen after two years.

I urge you, in general, to ask these key questions of your own physician, as he or she may have important information about your case that I lack.

Previous
cd4 estimate dr young
Next
Medication break and resistance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.