HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Medications in car for a week

I stupidly left meds picked up from the pharmacy in my garaged car for 7 days. However, I did go out on three of those days for about 2-3 hours each time. It was sunny with air temps 75-85. My car is black. Is there a danger that my meds (Ziagen, Abacavir and Viread) have been compromised by my stupidity. I have been undetectable for 8 years and don't want to jeopardize these meds effectiveness by taking a batch that may have reduced potency. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Sherer

None of these medications have a requirement for refrigeration, and with some air circulation and shade (while you car was garaged), the medications should be OK. Is there any evidence of a physical change or decomposition?

Unfortunately, this is not the type of question that lends itself well to resolution in this type of web-based forum. I urge you to contact your doctor or your doctor's office promptly in order to take the meds to him or her, so that your doctor (or office staff) can look at the pills and determine if they have undergone any physical changes or decomposition, and so that you can make an alternative arrangement for replacement meds, if necessary. You could also take the medications to your pharmacy and pharmacist with the same questions.

Apparently you have an additional supply that you were taking while these meds were in the car. I suggest you continue with that supply while you get your doctor's or your pharamacist's opinion. And talk to your doctor about the whole episode and these thoughts, in order to help prevent a similar occurence in future.

Missed doses
very low viral load!!