| ARv's and alcohol
Jul 26, 2008
how detrimental is taking alcohol when on ARV's? (i dont mean drinking as if there's no tomorrow). could an occassional glass of wine or spirits - maybe once or twice a month - dent your health considerably?what happens to vl or cd4 count?
Response from Dr. Sherer
The main concern with alcohol is it's disinhibitory effect. Heavy, frequent drinking, and episodic 'binge' drinking, are associated with poorer levels of medication adherence, which in turn can lead to viremia, drug resistance, and treatment failure. Occasional alcohol use in the manner in which you describe it is fine, and even healthy.
I suggest you talk to your doctor about his or her recommendations related to your drinking.
- Anal Warts After Sex With Sex Worker Worried I Have HIV
- Floaters After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Loose Stool After Swallowing Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Night Sweats After Getting Head Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sinus Infection After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Receiving Head Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.