Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral Load increasing
Jul 8, 2008

My POZ partner has been taking Atripla for a few years. His viral load was undetectable for 2+ years. Now it is rising ... the last three blood tests it went from, 4300, to 4700, and now 16,000! We are panicking. The doc doesn't seem overly concerned, and has not moved up his next appointment which is a few weeks away.

Should we push to get him to the doc sooner?

Response from Dr. Sherer

You are correct that these numbers are alarming and suggest resistance to the current regimen. I would also agree that there is no reason not to act promptly to get the results of a resistance test and change to the next regimen. Panic won't help this situation, though, nor does the situation warrant panic. He and his doctor should be able to come up with a reasonable second line regimen with which a return to an undetectable viral load for a prolonged period of time is likely to occur.

So, yes, I think an earlier appointment is a good idea, if the results of a resistance test are available then. Note that it may be the case that the appointment is the soonest available for his doctor with that information available. When he next sees his doctor, he can ask about why there was this delay.

In the meantime, it would be useful to take advantage of the time and to think for yourselves whether there were any lapses in taking medication that might have contributed to the loss of effect. I suggest this not to assign blame, but to encourage a review of all of the possible factors that might have contributed to this virologic failure, so that they can be corrected before the switch to the next regimen.

As always, I suggest that you talk to your doctor about your concerns, and this response to your question. If you are not satisfied with the answer, you and your partner are always free to exercise your right to obtain a second opinion from an alternate doctor.

Previous
Take Atripla Every Other Day?
Next
Do I Start Meds - Possibly New Infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.