Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

drug resistant?
Jul 2, 2008

I start taking my meds on November 2nd (Videx, Epivir, Stocrin) and my viral load is undetectable. But, last week, I forgot for the first time to take my meds for one day. So now I would like to know how big are the chances that I have become resistant to my treatment?

Response from Dr. Sherer

There is a real but small risk of resistance any time a scheduled dose is missed. However, once you have achieved an undetectable viral load, the risk of a single missed dose is less than it is during the first 6 months of treatment when your viral load is falling, but still detectable. It is very likely that you will be fine if you simply resumed your same regimen after the single lapse.

On the other hand, I suggest that you take some time and energy to make sure that you don't forget to take your medications again, to ensure that you don't expose yourself to that small risk of resistance.

There is currently a clinical trial of patients who, once undetectable, take their medications five days per week, and then take no drugs for two days on the weekends, compared to another group who take their medications every day. To date, the treatment outcomes in the two groups are similar, though these data have yet to be published, and so caution should be used before deciding to try this yourself.

I suggest that you talk to your doctor about the lapse in adherence, your concerns, and that you and he or she repeat your viral load to look for the possibility of early treatment failure and drug resistance. The odds are in your favor that it has not occurred due to this single instance.

Previous
Resistancy to Atripla
Next
Why suddenly resistance ?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.