Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing
Apr 17, 2001

Will an Elisa 1 @ 2 detect all the sub types ie hiv o etc. I tested neg Elisa 1@2 at 4,5,6,7,8,12,13,15 months and pcr dna at 4 and 12 months. How do i know i don't have an impaired system to produce antibodies

Response from Dr. Little

It is not clear to me why you are having HIV Ab tests done so frequently. In general, if you have a negative HIV EIA 1/2 at 6 and 12 months after a possible exposure and have no other unusual features to your case, I would feel very comfortable saying that you are HIV negative.

Regarding the rare subytpes O and N, traditional HIV 1/2 antibody testing may miss these subtypes (but they are quite rare in the US and without a clear risk, I would not pursue testing). See recent questions for a more complete discussion of subtype O and N infection and detection. For subtype N and O, I believe that type-specific peptide assays for antibodies HIV-1 subtype O and N are needed. There are two newer HIV 1/2 antibody tests (the Abbott Plus and Ortho Enhanced) which have been used successfully to detect subtype O infection. The best way to know that you don't have an impaired ability to produce antibodies is the absence of prior infections typical of this type of defect. There are screening tests for general antibody levels, but these are not typically done without some other history to suggest that this may be the problem.

Previous
?change in regimen
Next
in regards to your answer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.