The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv testing
Apr 17, 2001

How can someone test for subtype 0 or N.

Can an HIV specialist find such an infection.

If so what test would be performed?

Response from Dr. Little

Please refer to another recent question for a full description. Standard HIV 1/2 antibody testing can miss HIV types N and O infection. I am not an expert on the types of special tests necessary for detection of these types of infection, but believe that in general that type-specific peptide assays for HIV-1 subtype O and N are better. The literature suggests that two newer HIV Antibody test kits, the Abbott Plus and Ortho Enhanced may detect at least subtype O infection more reliably. I hope this helps.

HIV Testing
What causes resistance?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint