Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What options are out there when ART doesn't work?
Apr 28, 2008

Hi Dr. Sherer, As a response to one the earlier questions, you mentioned that in the current era of HIV treatment, 80-85% of people have a response to ART, with full viral suppression and rising CD4 cells. My question is simply what happens to the remaining 15-20% of HIV carriers? I am not on treatment yet and I don't know which category I will fall into once I start using the medications. Thanks for your response.

Response from Dr. Sherer

It is unusual in the current era NOT to be able to fully control one patients virus with successful ART. The 80-85% figure that I cited was for the most commonly used initial regimens, i.e. Atripla or a boosted PI with 2 NRTIs.

What happens if there is a lack of response with the initial regimen is that the individual is then switched to a second regimen that ALSO carries a likelihood of success of 80-85%.

And, as above, it is quite unusual in the current era to be unable to control an individual's virus with effective treatment.

I urge you to talk to your doctor about your concern and this response.

Previous
Rate of Effectiveness of My meds in patients
Next
CD4 declining

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.