HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Decrease in percentage

Hello. I just spoke with my doctor and it appears that on my latest lab tests my cd4 percentage has decreased from 32% to 25%, while the amount has more or less kept stable (750) and the viral load is undetectable.

I have been on Sustiva/Epivir/Zerit as my first combo medication for about nine years and never had any problem. I only took a morning dose of zerit/epivir (half of the daily dosage) 3 and a half hours late some days prior to the latest testing.

This has happened in the past a few times and never caused any resistance problem. Do you think this time it's a case of resistance or, as my doctor suggests, there might have been a glitch in the percentage count?

Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Sherer

There is more variablity in both the absolute number and the percent when the absolute number is above 500, and you have other evidence that your HAART is working for you, in particular the undetectable viral load. So maybe this is a 'glitch', as you say. I would just advise you to await the repeat value and keep your excellent adherence, and talk to your doctor about the issue.

Holiday now resistance??
Second Hand Smoke & Resistance