HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Non-dectectable

What does 10 years non-detectable mean?

I have been HIV+ over 20 years (on meds all the time with fairly good tolerance)and recently reached 10 years straight non-detectable. I started with a CD4 of 80 and went as high as 670 in 2007. Now in 2008, my CD4 is 510. I must add that I have been very adherent in taking my meds and never drank, smoked or did drugs.

Response from Dr. Sherer

It means that you and your physician have done a superb job of maintaining a consistent outcome that has given you the best possible chance of prolonged health. Without knowing the details of that story and the exact medications that you are currently taking, it is perfectly reasonable to think that you and he or she could continue that fine record for another 10 years or more.

Anyone with HIV who is reading your story should take heart from it. In my experience, this is not an unusual story; there are many such people living with HIV.

About treatments
Tried almost everything