Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Atripla Resistance
Jan 4, 2008

I've gone through most of the responses -- thank you for taking the time to respond to frightened HIV-ers. I have two questions. I started taking Atripla in June 2007. My numbers were 232/34500 in May 2007 (before starting); 419/undetectable in August and 593/undetectable in November. My doctor is very happy with these results. I feel pretty happy as well especially since the side affects have been minimal. But I'm now worried about developing a resistance to the drug that seems? to be working so well for me. Is it inevitable that Atripla users will eventually develop resistance to the drug if they maintain dedicated to taking the medicine daily? In the same vein, the other night I went to bed (I take the medicine around between 10p and 12a daily) but I couldn't remember if I took it so I got up and took a dose. It didn't take long to realize that I probably had taken two doses that evening b/c I felt terrible! Did I do the right thing? My rationale was that I'd rather take a second dose then miss one...

THANK YOU!!!!

Response from Dr. Sherer

Your doctor is right, you have had a fine response, with full viral suppression, a rise of 361 CD4 cells after less than one year, and minimal side effects.

I do think that you did the right thing, though I would prefer that you not overdose yourself. But, if you can't be certain that you took your dose on a given night, the best strategy is to be sure and take it. You might make it easy on yourself by simply checking a list when you take it, to prevent similar occurences in future.

No, drug resistance is not inevitable. The best evidence that you could go for many years on this same regimen without resistance, provided you maintain excellent adherence, is to be found in long term clinical trials of this regimen. After 5 years in one extended study of this regimen, more than two thirds of people who started on this regimen were still well controlled. If you are able to maintain excellent adherence, you could well have full suppression after 5 or more years on this regimen.

In full disclosure, I should also note that drug resistance can occur, even in the situation when an individual takes every ART dose as prescribed. Sometimes the reasons for this are unclear. Interactions with other drugs or incomplete absorption due to intestinal conditions could lead to low drug levels and drug resistance.

In the event of resistance to this regimen and virologic failure some time in future, the good news is that there are other fairly simple and well tolerated regimens that can offer complete viral suppression.

I urge you to talk to your doctor about your concerns and this response.

Previous
Resistance test accurate?
Next
New Infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.