HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

truvada/sustiva mix up

i have been taking truvada/sustiva for 4 months now. my V/L dropped fron 430,000 to 90 and my T cells up from 100 to 350.... my doctor and I are hoping /expecting v/l undetectable soon... yesterday i found out i accidentally double dosed on sustiva and taken no truvada the night before. i am currently staying with friends for xmas who know nothing about my status and i took my medication too quickly.

what is the likelihood this will have messed things up for me and how soon would i know?

By the way - thanks for your help. and for this website which is a real support on many occasions.

Response from Dr. Sherer

One of the benefits of this regimen is the long half life in the blood of all of the drugs in the regimen, i.e. from 24 -48 hours or more. Truvada also acts at the intracellular level, and so is less dependent on short term changes in the serum level. Finally, in studies of people with full viral load suppression on treatment, return to active production of new virus took about 5-7 days after cessation of treatment.

For all of these reasons, the chances are very good that you will continue to have good viral suppression without drug resistance.

However, I share your concern about this episode. You should talk to your doctor about options to ensure that you don't repeat this episode and put yourself at risk of drug resistance. I encourage you to take this email exchange and discuss it as well.

Resistant to 3TC
Resistant to all meds and no other help