HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Lac of Stocrin, should I stop the other meds (Biovir)?

Hi there, hope you are doing fine!! My name is Ricardo, and I'm on my meds since November last year, my CD4 is about 270 (very low yet) and viral load is undetecble, i feel very good, no side effects. The problem is I'm facing a lac of Stocrin, and I dicided to stop the other med Biovir. When Stocrin over, I kept Biovir for 4 days more, 2 pills/day, and then I stopped it. Was that correct in orther to avoid drug resistence? I'm hoping to start my treatment soon. Thank for your help

Response from Dr. Sherer

The current guidelines suggest that, when a regimen containing Stocrin (also known as efavirenz or Sustiva) is stopped, either a protease inhibitor should be started for 1-2 weeks, or the NRTI drugs should be continued for 1-2 weeks, in order to prevent the development of Strocrin resistance. The best time is unknown, due to the fact that the Stocrin half-life in the blood is quite variable, and for some can last 1-2 weeks or longer.

So, to answer your question, it would have been best to continue the Biovir for 7-14 days. You probably did reduce the risk of Stocrin resistance, however, by continuing the NRTIs for 4 days.

I urge you to talk to your doctor about these events and this email response.

am i resistant to there drugs?
Several questions on Superinfection