HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

was undetectable now off meds

how long will it be before the virus takes over. How long can i be off meds before the complications start. soars, weakness pain all over body. how do i find a hiv doctor in nc

Response from Dr. Sherer

I would need more information to be able to advise you on the likelihood that you have recurrent symptoms of HIV now that you are off ART. If you had a very low CD4 cell count when you started treatment, or if you had significant HIV-related symptoms when you first started ART, it is more likely that your symptoms will return. Also, if either of the above were true, it would suggest a shorter time until you again experience HIV-related complications.

Other useful information to answer your question would include your CD4 cell count when you stopped treatment, your first CD4 cell count and viral loads, and your treatment regimens and responses since you have been on treatment.

Many people tolerate treatment interruptions without new symptoms for weeks or months, but I would urge you NOT to continue without seeing a doctor soon, e.g. in the next month, in order to get advice on your next best course of action. In general, strategies testing treatment interruption have not been successful, and studies suggest that you are better off being on treatment than periodically being off treatment.

There are many excellent HIV doctors in North Carolina, so this should be an easy question to answer. I have provided two internet links for you, one for HIV resources in NC via Project Inform (through the Univ of NC), and the other for resources in Western North Carolina. These sites should be able to help you or direct you to other sources in your region. Once you see a doctor, you can decide with him or her your next course of action.

Adherence vs Compliance to ARV
HIV or AIDS