Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Flu shot and CD4 count
Nov 4, 2007

I'm in a drug study trial and my CD4 is monitored very closely. If my CD4 drops much more than 10 I'll be out of the study. Should I get a flu shot and how much will the flu shot affect my CD4 or will it?

Response from Dr. Sherer

A vaccination or an illness, such as a viral infection, can transiently cause an increase in the HIV viral load. In most cases, this will resolve with a return to the previous viral load level. It's possible, but unlikely, that these events could cause a significant decrease in the CD4 cell count. More prolonged and sustained elevations in the viral load will cause the CD4 cell count to decline over time.

In addition, a change of 10 CD4 cells, for example from 200 to 190 cells/ml, would NOT constitute a 'significant' decrease in your CD4 cell count, that is, this difference would fall within the range of the variation of the test, and so would not represent a significant clinical change in your CD4 cell count.

More importantly, I would suggest that you should not make this decision on the basis of your inclusion or exclusion from this trial. The best criteria upon which you and your doctor should answer this question is, is the flu vaccination in the best interest of your health?

Unfortunately, there are some settings in the world in which access to antiretroviral therapy can be obtained only be participation in a clinical trial. If this is your circumstance, then I would understand your concern, particularly if exclusion from the trial meant that you would no longer have access to ART. In that unusal circumstance, I would advise you and your doctor to defer the influenza vaccine in order to reduce the already very small chance that the vaccination might contribute to a decrease in your CD4 cell count.

Under most other circumstances, I would advise you, as I advise all of my patients, to have a flu shot, i.e. an influenza vaccination, because the benefits far outweigh the small risks.

I would urge you to take your concern and these observations to your doctor and to the investigator who is conducting the trial, in order to further discuss your options and reach the conclusion that is in the best interest of your health.

Previous
Could my change in numbers be due to M.R.S.A. or resistance?
Next
Disgusting

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.