Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Could my change in numbers be due to M.R.S.A. or resistance?
Oct 24, 2007

I've been on Atripla for 4 years with no problems. I developed a M.R.S.A. infection and was prescribed Zyvox and a tetanus shot. Three weeks later when I did my blood work my viral load was 38000 and my Tcell count 1000. Can M.R.S.A./vacination account for the big change in numbers or could I be resistant to Atripla?

Response from Dr. Sherer

Both are possible. You and your doctor should repeat these studies promptly along with a genotype test to look for drug resistance, and you will answer that part of the question.

Intercurrent bacterial and viral infections and vaccinations are known to cause transient rises in viral loads, so that may also be an explanation. When your MRSA has been treated, the viral load should return to baseline if it was simply related to this infection. The degree of the increase in viral load, i.e. to 38,000, is concerning, so close follow up during this time is needed to answer this question.

I suggest that you talk to your doctor about your concerns and these responses.

Previous
stopping meds
Next
Flu shot and CD4 count

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.