Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ Couple Test
Oct 10, 2007

I just tested HIV+, CD4 260 and VL 108,000. I had my partner tested the next week and he had CD4 of 262 and VL of 806,000. I had been tested before (1 year prior) and tested HIV-. He says the VL he had makes no difference as to how long he has been positive. I am sure I did not infect him. Is the VL any indication of how long you have been positive seeing as our CD4 count were almost the same? I need peace in my mind as this makes no sence. It is not to accuse but honesty does not seem to be available and I need a basic way to handle this to move forward in my own mind.

Response from Dr. Sherer

No, it is not possible to draw inferences about the timing of HIV infection from the level of the viral load.

It is true that the highest viral loads, often in excess of 1 million copies, occur during acute infection in the first 6 weeks (or less), and that after 6 months or so there is an equilibrium or 'set point' at which the viral load remains fairly stable, and that level is more often in the range of 100,000 in untreated patients....but that does not allow any conclusive statements about when a person acquired the virus, as there is great variability in viral load levels between individuals, and in one individual over time.

Previous
confused
Next
Reyataz or Reyataz/Norvir

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.