HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Irregular numbers

I rencently had blood work done, and all of my friends, and dr are shocked by numbers time after time. First off I am not on any meds and was diagonised last april. Since the first test my numbers have been low and my T cells have been high. My viral load has stayed about the same until the last test. Where it became "undetectable" my dr even circled the # and wrote beside "not on hart". I have not had time to talk to him or see him since the tests, but I am wondering why my numbers have been so good, almost unusual. I havent changed my diet, or work out regimen. I walk and jog when i can and take normal vitamins. Like i said I am on no meds.

Response from Dr. Sherer

It is not unusual to have a positive HIV antibody test with high CD4 cells and an undetectable HIV viral load; this occurs in 1-2% of people who are diagnosed with HIV. Along with the trend that you desribe in your viral load and CD4 cell count in April, it's good news for you, in that it suggests that your immune system is currently controlling the infection without a large cost in terms of CD4 cell count declines.

It is essential that you continue to see your doctor 2-3 times yearly and have your blood tested to monitor this situation. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people in your situation do eventually see a decline in their CD4 cell count and an increase in the viral load, but it can take years to occur.

And, in spite of the fact that your viral load is undetectable in your blood, you are still infectious, so you should continue to follow safer sex recommendations during this time.

I urge you to talk to your doctor about your question and this response, and to continue with your clinic visits and monitoring regularly.

druq on empty stomach
Viral Load Progression