The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Aug 8, 2007

Does 'undetectable' mean the virus cant be found??? Im quite worried now, hearing that term. What if a guy and I were dating, about to get married, and decided to get an HIV test to ensure we are both healthy. Can the HIV test come back negative, even though one person has HIV, and is hiding the fact that hes taking meds for it??

Response from Dr. Sherer

No, once you have a positive HIV antibody test, it is positive for life. HIV antibodies are the immunoglobulins that your body produces in response to an HIV infection.

The "undetectable" refers to the amount of virus particles of RNA that are directly measured in the bloodstream, i.e. the viral load as measured by the RNA PCR test, which has been shown to be an important prognostic marker for future HIV disease progression in people who are known to be HIV infected. The higher the viral load, the more likely is HIV disease progression.

This measure falls below the ability of the test to measure it - hence the term undetectable - in a person who is successfully treated with HIV medicines, but HIV is still alive and replicating in such a person, e.g. in tissue cells, for example in the central nervous system and the goands - in a person with an undetectable viral load in the plasma.

So if you're dating and getting an HIV test before getting married, a negative HIV antibody test does reliably mean that you were free of infection three-six months ago.

I urge you to talk to your doctor about your concerns.

Will a blip in viral load cause a drop in CD4??
Undetectable and suppression

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint