Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Shift of Meds Timing
May 29, 2007

Currently I take a Reyataz, Norvir, Truvda combo once a day at 12:30pm. I will be traveling to Hong Kong in one week and the time difference is exactly 12 hours. I do not want to be taking the meds at midnight HK time, so have decided to adjust my home dose time to around 8:00am (8:00pm HK time). The question is this - how best to adjust dosage time? Take my regimen 1 hour earlier each day until I reach 8:00am? Or simply take my dosage 4 hours earlier one day and be done with it? Thanks for your advice!

Response from Dr. Sherer

Thanks for a common, practical question regarding travel and HIV medications, and a well-conceived plan with reasonable alternatives in response to the problem. Patients are often wisest at making their own accomodations to this type of adherence question, as your email suggests.

Either way would probably work fine. Unless you have some side effects that might be magnified slightly by simply taking your medications once 4 hours earlier, I would suggest that alternative. It is quick and easy.

The only problem with gradually making the change over 4 days is the possibility that you forget where you are in the schedule and over or under-compensate, though even that would be unlikely to jeopardize your virologic control.

Finally, I would suggest that you discuss your concerns and this email response with your doctor, as there may be issues in your case that I am unaware of.

Previous
I cant believe I forgot my Atripla
Next
mutations when 100% adherent

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.