The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WOW what test is that?
May 21, 2007


First let me start by telling you how wonderful your site is. I would like to say for an out gay man who was diagnoses positive in october and who has friends who are positive, its hard to come out again. This site gives me GREAT support. Thank you.

So to my questions, I have decided to stay with my GP physician since my diagnosis. he has run a battary of tests on me and I believe he is doing a good job. However I have had a lot of stomach pain in the last couple of month to which he has diagnosed as IBS. I feel this is a generic diagnosis however I now see this test on your site and am wondering if I should be getting it. It is called, Genotypic resistance Interpretation Algorithm. Should I have gotten this test also?

Thanks d

Response from Dr. Sherer

I can't tell from the information you have provided whether a resistance test is needed or not. I would advise you to ask your doctor.

The setting in which a genotypic resistance test might be helpful is when your virus load is no longer below the level of detection; or your CD4 cell count is no longer increasing, or is decreasing; or when you and your doctor think that your regimen is not working well for you for clinical or other reasons.

A resistance test might help to tell you whether your virus is no longer susceptible to your antiretroviral drugs. As above, I suggest that you talk to your doctor about whether you need this test.

4 hours and a half late on Zerit and Epivir

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint