The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

resistance testing
Apr 23, 2007

I'm confused about resistance testing. When talking about phenotype testing, what is meant by "cut-offs" and "fold changes".

Response from Dr. Sherer

A genotype resistance test measures the sequence of virus, and thus results refer to specific mutations, M184V is a substitution of Methionine (Met) for Valine (Val) at the 184 locus.

In contrast, results for a phenotype are given in relation to the difference, if any, between YOUR virus and 'wild-type' virus, i.e. a virus with no mutations. So we speak of one who has the M184V mutation, which confers reduced susceptibility to lamivudine, as having an '8-fold' reduction in susceptibility, i.e. it is 8x less susceptible with the mutation than another virus without the mutation.

The big question is, what does this mean to you in the clinic? For this answer, we need to know what happens to patients who have an 8-fold reduction in susceptibility, i.e. at what clinical 'cut-off' of susceptibility is there a 20% loss of anti-viral activity (SOME resistance) and at what clinical cut-off is there an 80% loss of anti-viral activity (NEAR TOTAL resistance).

These terms are confusing even to experienced clinicians, so I urge you to take these answers to your doctor and talk to him or her about them, in the context of your own test results. Hopefully that will lead to some clarity on the meaning of these terms.

Discordant CD4 - CD4%
Does superinfection really exist?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint