HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Am I resistance?

My last tests shown viral load 142 and my cd4 were 596.Six months ago my viral load was undetectable and my cd4 were 830.Iam taking stocrin 600mg epivir 300mg and videx 400mg for 2 years.Shall i change the medication? Thanks

Response from Dr. Sherer

No, not yet. You may have simply had a small 'blip' in the viral load, i.e. a single value between 50 and 1,000 copies. 40% of people on ART get a blip during the course of their treatment, and most often they are of little consequence, i.e. follow up values are most often back below the level of detection.

You and your doctor should repeat the viral load and CD4 cell count, and it the viral load is above 1,000 copies/ml, your doctor should order a resistance test (if available in your country) in order to determine whether you are resistant to one or more drugs in your regimen, and to guide second line therapy, if that is available to you.

It would be useful also to know whether the percent of CD4 cells also declined, in order to determine whether a true decline in CD4 cells has occured.

I urge you to return to your doctor right away for repeat testing in order to plan the next course of action. In the meantime, continue to take your medications as prescribed.

What do these other mutations mean?
only protease inhibitors are left