HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Atripla in my Bowel Movements

I have been taking Atripla in the morning due to time zone changes I have for work and I have not suffered from Side Effects, However the last several days I have noticed in my stool, what appears to be a half desolved white pill roughly 3 hours after I take Atripla. Of course I do not know how long this has been going on, What can I do? Am I at risk for resistance as I am concerned that my body is not obsorbing the meds. Can a pill really pass through my system undesolved in a matter of only 3 hours? I am in a state of panic as I do not know how long this has been going on. What should I do? Thanks for your help and advise.

Response from Dr. Sherer

The clincal evidence that Atripla gives blood levels that are equivalent to separate pills of efavirenz, tenofovir, and emtricitabine is compelling, and the event that you are describing has not been described in the literature, to my knowledge. The most likely explanation is that you are seeing something else in your stool. The strongest evidence of this is that a 3 hour transit time through the bowel is far too short, unless you are suffering from high volume chronic diarrhea, as the average time for stool to pass is 12 hours.

Having said that, there is a simple way to test what is happening: When (and if) this happens again, take the material with the stool to your doctor to send it to the manufacturer for testing. It would be important to document if this were actually partly undigested Atripla, so this is a reasonable solution.

You and your doctor can also ask the maufacturer whether anyone else has made similar observations to date, as I may be unaware of a new phenomenon.

In the meantime, continue to take your single tablet once daily as directed, and talk to your doctor about this concern and these suggestions.

several resistance
What do these other mutations mean?