HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

oral sex

I just learned that my daughter had unprotected oral sex performed on her by a virtual stranger. She swears that she did not "touch him" which I find hard to believe. what are her risks, based on what she said, for contracting HIV/aid and when should I have her tested

Response from Dr. Little

In general, the risks associated with oral sex are thought to be lower than the risks of anal or vaginal intercourse. Following an exposure where the HIV status of the partner is unknown, given that the risk is low but not zero, I generally advise that testing be done immediately and at 6 months after the exposure. The reason for the immediate test is to document that the individual was negative at the time of the initial exposure. Then, if negative, follow-up is advise immediately if the person develops fever, sore throat, or other "flu-like" symptoms within the month following the expousre. These symptoms have been associated with HIV seroconversion (the period of becoming HIV positive). Specialized testing is available for people who have symptoms like this following a possible exposure. Also, the follow-up testing after a potential exposure is to document that the person has not seroconverted in the absence of symptoms. It typically takes 4-6 weeks (occasionally more) to develop antibody to HIV which is what is measured in the typical HIV test. The follow-up at 6 months is a bit on the long side, and if you wish you could also test at 3 and 6 months after an exposure. The major caution is that a negative at 3 months is not an absolute guarentee that the person is negative and follow-up testing should also be performed about 6 months after the potential exposure.

HIV
CMV and other illnesses