HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

low cell counts

Hello, i was recently (4 weeks ago)hospitalized with PCP, where i also found out i had AIDS, i was never tested before, DUMB-I KNOW. My counts are all low with tcells at 4. Right now i am scared, confused, and curious about my future and health. Can my counts go up? Will i die in 8-10 yrs as i have been reading online? Can aids turn back into HIV? I am on sustiva 600, emtrivia 200 and viread 300. IS THERE HOPE FOR ME?

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, there is hope for you. I and other doctors have seen many people with advanced AIDS like you who have done very well on antiretroviral therapy and have not been sick or returned into hospital for years.

The most important thing that you can do is to keep your appointments with your doctor, follow his or her recommendations, and take every dose of your medication without any misses. You are on an excellent initial regimen that is among the recommended initial regimens on numerous HIV treatment guidelines around the world.

Once you have had a diagnosis of PCP, you meet the definition of AIDS. You also meet that definition by having a CD4 cell count below 200 cells/ml, but this can change with effective therapy. The average CD4 cell increase is around 100 per year, with some variability being common.

It is useful that you are curious now; I encourage you to find out all that you can about having AIDS and HIV infection, and to ask these questions of your doctor, and listen carefully to the answers. While I understand that you're afraid, you should be careful not to let your fear cloud your judgement, and more importantly, don't let it interfere with taking your HIV medications exactly as directed.

could any offer his help plz..?am lost and need 2 be supported
Why is my CD4 dropping?