HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Pregnancy and Medication

Hi there

for the past 11 months i have been on Duovir and Nevirapine because i was considering getting pregnant. today i am six months pregnant and doing great. however i would like to know if there would be any special injection needed for the baby after birth and if i would have to continue with the same medication

thanks for your response.

Response from Dr. Sherer

I am glad to hear that you are doing well on your ART medications, and that your pregnancy is doing well. I encourage you to ask these same questions of your doctor and midwife, as well as all the other important questions that should be addressed for you and your baby, such as the best way to address feeding for the baby, and the type of ART to give the baby as part of the regimen to prevent transmission to him or her.

For your specific question, there is no special 'injection' needed for the baby, but you and your doctor will want to consider the options for ART to further reduce the risk of transmission of HIV to him or her, and to think about the options for infant feeding, as above. For your part, as long as you continue to do well with your medications, your doctor is likely to recommend that you continue to take them regularly, without missing any doses, as it sounds like you are doing now.

Just a comment!
Does my husband need to change medications?