Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pregnancy and Medication
Mar 8, 2007

Hi there

for the past 11 months i have been on Duovir and Nevirapine because i was considering getting pregnant. today i am six months pregnant and doing great. however i would like to know if there would be any special injection needed for the baby after birth and if i would have to continue with the same medication

thanks for your response.

Response from Dr. Sherer

I am glad to hear that you are doing well on your ART medications, and that your pregnancy is doing well. I encourage you to ask these same questions of your doctor and midwife, as well as all the other important questions that should be addressed for you and your baby, such as the best way to address feeding for the baby, and the type of ART to give the baby as part of the regimen to prevent transmission to him or her.

For your specific question, there is no special 'injection' needed for the baby, but you and your doctor will want to consider the options for ART to further reduce the risk of transmission of HIV to him or her, and to think about the options for infant feeding, as above. For your part, as long as you continue to do well with your medications, your doctor is likely to recommend that you continue to take them regularly, without missing any doses, as it sounds like you are doing now.

Previous
Just a comment!
Next
Does my husband need to change medications?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.