HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Just a comment!

Your response to the person who had gone through Immune Reconstitution Syndrome and was starting treatment at a very advance state of his illness, and wondered if he could indeed live a normal life again - well I could not resist telling you what a wonderful response you formulated and sent to him! As a veteran of now twenty-one years with HIV and still a near normal immune system and a zero viral load - I know a LOT about waiting for the other shoe to drop. Been there and did that for years! I was diagnosed in 1986 - before HAART and even before AZT was available with merely an RX. I saw all my friends and peers dying. I wondered when it would be my turn, and what would happen to me? The answer is nearly nothing. Yep. 21 years and so far no serious OI's, no hospitalizations because of HIV - (okay, a facelift and some lipo maybe - but hardly for anything serious!) - and now I'm talking to younger guys telling them about hope. Hope they can reasonably have and a life they can pretty well count on living. You and I know all too well that it was not always this way - that there were times when many a great doc sat in his office while wathing his patients dying for want of meds and/or an effective treatment for even many of teh OI's! But today we do have hope. The Quilt is largely a relic of a bygone time. It is not being added to with hundreds of panels being sent in each week - as happened in the late 80's and early 90's. Thanks for a great answer! You gave this guy the encouragement he so obviously needed. I remember when there was so little hope. Your answer today brings a tear to my eye and a prayer of thanks to my heart. There is a tremendous amount of reason and even expecation to be hopeful and positive about living a long and healthy life!

Response from Dr. Sherer

Thank you for this kind email. It is said that 80% of primary care visits do not require serious medical attention. I am not aware of a similar number for HIV visits, but there is no doubt that support, hope, and encouragement are enormously important - for patients and doctors alike.

Thanks for adding your words of support, and of hope.

Resistance, falling blood counts, and current options
Pregnancy and Medication