Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

one year on. hows it going?
Feb 19, 2007

Hello

I was diagnosed in Feb 06 VL >100,000 CD4 136 12%. After resistence testing started Sustiva/Truvada in March 06 @ VL >100,000 CD4 220 17%. April 06 VL 1600 CD4 330 19%; June 06 VL 300 CD4 300 18%; July 06 VL 200 CD4 226 19%; Aug 06 VL <50 CD4 336 17%; Oct 06 VL 150 CD4 370 15%; Nov 06 VL <40 CD4 440 18%; Jan 07 VL <40 CD4 280 20%. OK now my questions, obviously my VL took slightly longer than normal to fully suppress do you think that this has been a factor in my virtual non movement in CD4/%. I find the CD4/% slightly worrying and very disappointing. How do you view the numbers one year on. I am 100% adherent, have no side effects from meds, had developed KS which has shown good improvement, and no thrush, weight loss since April 06. So physically I m told I m great, good liver kidney function, low cholestral etc. But find it difficult not to concentrate on what I consider a low CD4 when I read of others with huge numbers. Any advice appreciated. Oh and I m 39 by the way and dont smoke. United Kingdom.

Response from Dr. Sherer

You are certainly doing better than your statement of 'virtual non-movement in CD4 #/% would suggest.

The average increase in CD4 count in a year is 100 cells; yours increased by 304 cells from Feb to Nov, and from 12% to 20% from Feb to Jan. These are good outcomes.

I appreciate that you have seen some variability in the degree of rise in the absolute CD4 count, with the latest absolute number 280 cells/ml, but note that the CD4 % with that value was 20%, which was significantly above your baseline percentage of 12%.

My advice: Be patient, all of these trends are positive. Continue with the excellent 100% adherence, as this is the one issue that you can control. And, of course, talk to your doctor about your concerns and this answer.

Previous
salvage therapy
Next
When Should I start meds?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.