Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Drug resistant
Feb 19, 2007

I am drug resistant to most drugs except for Kaletra. My doctor has orderd me a Truvada to use with Kaletra.My cd 4 count is 246. Ever since I took ArV's from 1999 to date, my cd 4 never exceeded 350. My doctor told me the virus that I have is difficult to treat. I would love to have a child in future when my cd 4 is up and viral load undetactable, are there any HIV medicines that are safe to use in pregnancy?

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, there are many HIV medicines that are safe to use in pregnancy. The amount of information available on the use of HIV medicines in pregnancy varies; in general, we have more information about the older medicines, such as zidovudine, lamivudine, and nelfinavir, which are all classified as among the safest. Kaletra has also been increasingly used and studied in pregnancy, with an excellent safety record, and currently is one of two recommended protease inhibitors (along with nelfinavir)for use in pregnancy.

Truvada, i.e. its two component drugs tenofovir and emtricitabine, is listed as 'insufficient data' in the pregnancy treatment guidelines, since they are relatively newer. This nucleoside combination is often chosen as a second line option,. I agree with your doctor that the first priority for your treatment is the best possible treatment for your health, and the uncertainties of the use of Truvada are outweighed by the need to provide you with the best possible control.

I urge you to talk to your doctor about the considerations for you to plan to have a baby. While the subject is complex, many women have made the same choice that you are considering.

Regarding your drug resistance, depending on where you live, some or all of the new treatments for HIV may be available to you and your doctor now or in the near future. I urge you to talk to him or her about these medications. They include new protease inhibitors (darunavir or tipranavir), in the event that Kaletra becomes less active in future; a new second generation NNRTI inhibitor - etravirine - for people who developed resistance to nevirapine or efavirenz; the new injectable entry inhibitor enfurvitide, and other new entry inhibitors such as miraviroc in the near future; and a new integrase inhibitor - MK-0518 - that should be available later this year.

Previous
MDR! Still take meds?
Next
To get a flu shot or not

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.