HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

FOLLOW UP

I wrote to you a few months ago concerning my Viral Load and the fact after finally reaching <50 the next 2 results showed levels of 150. I also told you that the lab the Hospital uses and other labs in the UK had received a new PCR machine and were getting similar results for patients who had been <50 for many years. Last week I received my latest results and it was <40 CD4 461, from a base line of >100,000 CD4 136 so am really pleased and my Doctor tells me that they seem to have "fixed" the fault that was causing these blips and was affecting at least 50 patients in my hospital alone Best Wishes for the Xmas.

Response from Dr. Sherer

Many thanks for the follow up, your story is an important one for people on ART to hear. Like any other blood test, the viral load test is imperfect, and sometimes variations in test results have everything to do with the test procedure itself, and not with an individual patient.

Is it possible or have I lost my mind
Fluctuating CD4