HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

t-20 and study

Hi, currently I am on Atripla. My t-cells is around 560 and viral loads undectables. I started treatment within one month of finding out I was recently Hiv+ which is about 2years ago. My question is of the study that I am about to start in a month from now. It the studies for the latest resting viral. Vaplic Acids, harrts and T-20. I was wondering what happend if I stopped taking t-20? Will I deveopled resisted to it? Even know I am undectable now? I was told by my boyfriend that it was a last line of defense? I like to help out with the study but at the same time I do not want to place myself in a greater risk down the road. Thank you for the input. Tom in NC

Response from Ms. Salisbury

Hi Tom, I have not heard of this study. But I have heard rumors using T-20 (Fuzeon) in patients like yourself who have early infection and normal T-cells. I don't think this regimen will cause you any problems with resistance if you take your meds as prescribed by the study protocol.

You definitely should ask the study site every question that you can think of in regards to this treatment and its potential benefits and risks.

Fuzeon has usually been used for late HIV infection or AIDS patients, but this probably because of the expense and it requires 2 injections per day. Good luck with your decision. Carol

no q today, only a thank u
Missed