HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

TB AND HIV

I was tested HIV+ in February 2006. I went for my firt viral load and CD4 count in June 2006. My viral load was at 64 and my CD4 count was at 1496. My concer is with how much must I expect my next viral load to increse the next time I visit my Dr. It will be in January 2007. My partner tested negative to HIV test. Another thing, I was dignosed with TB in 1994 and it was treated. Is my blood still having the TB virus, and is it the TB virus that make my blood to test positive to HIV test?

Response from Dr. Sherer

No, having a history of treated TB in the past could not make your HIV test turn positive. Your positive HIV test means that you have HIV infection.

Your first viral load was low, 64 copies/ml. 10% of patients with HIV will have low or undetectable viral loads, and this period can last for months and even years, so you may have a similar value at your next test. It is also possible that the result may show a rising viral load.

If possible, I would advise you to have your blood tested every 6 months, to ensure that a rapid change does not take place without you or your doctor being aware of it.

You should also be assessed for TB now with a chest xray, and a regular review of the signs and symptoms of TB, such as chronic cough, weight loss, fever, and sweats.

Whether or not you 'still have TB' depends on the outcome of your treatment. Were you told by a physician that you were 'cured' of TB, and that treatment was no longer needed? If so, then you are not likely to have active TB now. If not, then you should have the assessment that I described above.

I encourage you to talk to your doctor about these issues.

switching Kaletra from once to twice daily
Did I just have a blip in my counts