HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Taking meds on time

Hi, I wanted to know how much time I have to play with to be considered "taking meds on time."

For example, I usually take my doses at 8:30am (Kaletra) & 8:30pm (Kaletra & Truvada). However, on some days I might take the morning dose at 8am and the evening dose at 9pm. I tend to do this frequently but I rarely go more than a half hour in either direction and have only missed twice in a year.

Is this considered taking meds on time or does it have to be 8:30 on the dot? If this routine is OK, what would be the cut off point for being considered late?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Sherer

I would consider these intervals to equal 'taking the meds on time', i.e. within an hour of the exact 12 hour interval.

More than an hour after that time would be 'late', and should be avoided as much as possible. If a delay beyond this point occurs, then you should take the next dose as soon as possible when the mistake is identified.

For obvious reasons, there has not been large scale controlled trials to test these intervals, since the study design would put people at risk of virologic failure and drug resistance. The opinions here are based on the known outcomes of clinical trials, including monotherapy trials, and the pharmacology of the drugs.

There are good reasons to think that the interval may be less generous for some regimens, for example containing an unboosted PI like nelfinavir or indinavir, than with the more recent boosted PIs like lopinavir or atazanavir.

I encourage you to ask your doctor about these issues, and to share these observations with him or her.

Change of Regimen
Atripla side effects - sore esophagus