Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Taking meds on time
Nov 12, 2006

Hi, I wanted to know how much time I have to play with to be considered "taking meds on time."

For example, I usually take my doses at 8:30am (Kaletra) & 8:30pm (Kaletra & Truvada). However, on some days I might take the morning dose at 8am and the evening dose at 9pm. I tend to do this frequently but I rarely go more than a half hour in either direction and have only missed twice in a year.

Is this considered taking meds on time or does it have to be 8:30 on the dot? If this routine is OK, what would be the cut off point for being considered late?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Sherer

I would consider these intervals to equal 'taking the meds on time', i.e. within an hour of the exact 12 hour interval.

More than an hour after that time would be 'late', and should be avoided as much as possible. If a delay beyond this point occurs, then you should take the next dose as soon as possible when the mistake is identified.

For obvious reasons, there has not been large scale controlled trials to test these intervals, since the study design would put people at risk of virologic failure and drug resistance. The opinions here are based on the known outcomes of clinical trials, including monotherapy trials, and the pharmacology of the drugs.

There are good reasons to think that the interval may be less generous for some regimens, for example containing an unboosted PI like nelfinavir or indinavir, than with the more recent boosted PIs like lopinavir or atazanavir.

I encourage you to ask your doctor about these issues, and to share these observations with him or her.

Previous
Change of Regimen
Next
Atripla side effects - sore esophagus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.