HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Why am I not undetectable yet?

I started my HIV treatment on August 15, my viral load was about 80,000 and CD4 was 530 26%. Two weeks later I took another blood test and my VL was 500 and CD4 580 28%. Im now almost 2 months into my treatment and my VL is 106 and CD4 is 628 27%, to me it look like thing are going in the right direction. Should I be undetectable already?

My Dr seems concerned that Im not undetectable yet, and wants me to take a resistance test again. Should I be concerned that Im not undetectable? The meds Im taking are Truvada , Lexiva, Norvir,I have never missed my medication, and I take my meds with food between 11:30 and 3:30, most of the time. 90% of the time I take it exactly at 12:00, my dr said this time frame is fine, do you agree?

Should I be doing anything else?

Thank you

Response from Dr. Sherer

I think you're doing fine. Your CD4 cells are rising, and you have had a more than 2 log decline in your viral load after two months. Keep taking your medications as prescribed, as you are doing, and your next blood tests should show continued improvement. Sometimes it takes 4-6 months to get below the level of detection.

Just keep up your fine record of adherence to the medications, and talk to your doctor about your concerns and this answer.

Kaletra & Truvada & Sulfamethazole
RESISTANT TO ALL ARVS