HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Thank You Dr. Sherer - On PEP for the 2nd time Question

Dr. Sherer, Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it. You were, are very right. I do have a phobia. You asked what happened the first time for me to be on PEP even from the beginning, same thing except I did not use protection with him. He did not cum in me, he withdraw the first time, but I was concerned about pre-cum. & as I stated in the previous question what warranted PEP this time was the fact that the condom broke & he did.... cum inside me. I have decided to enroll in counseling because I do recognize that I have a problem with HIV phobia &... just sticking hard to my beliefs to use condoms, especially with this guy because I like him so much. But after the act, I'm scared & stressed all over again & it's not worth it. So starting next week I will be going to a women's group which involves prevention , & where we can openly talk about our problems. It was actually offered to me a few weeks ago when I got tested, so I have decided to take them up on that offer. I have 10 more days of PEP left, & I pray that I will be fine. Regardless of the circumstance, you are right HIV prevention is not rocket science & being in a relationship like where trust is an issue is not worth it. This guy is not my boyfriend, rather my friend, but we will have a serious talk & what would make me feel better is we were too get tested together.

Response from Dr. Sherer

Thank you for this follow up. Good luck to you and your friend.

transmission of resistance
mutations