HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Can switching meds develope resistance?

First, I want to thank you all for doing a great job on this site!

I' ve been on Epivir, Videx and Stocrin for 2,5 months and my CD4 has raised from 208 to 322. The problem is that there is no more Epivir in our pharmacies, in Serbia, so I was prescribed Ziagen instead. I am about to start using Ziagen + Videx + Stocrin. I am conserned if it can lead to resistance quicklier this way. Should I go back to Epivir after it becomes available?

Thank you so much in advance! Best Regards, Dean

Response from Dr. Sherer

Questions like these are very common, and somewhat difficult to answer, because they present circumstances that have not been tested in clinical trials.

Nonetheless, all available evidence would suggest that your current regimen of ABC + DDI + EFV is an acceptable alternative, and should present no greater risk of resistance than DDI + 3TC + EFV.

If the pharmacy shortage resulted in your missing doses of Epivir, that would increase the chance of resistance, but not because of any inadequacy in your current regimen.

A switch to abacavir (Ziagen) has been well studied, and the most important issue is not new resistance, but the 5% incidence of the hypersensitivity reaction (HSR), which is an allergic reaction characterized by fever, abdominal discomfort, and rash. This HSR usually occurs in the first 6 weeks of treatment, and is critical to be recognized, because it can be fatal if the medication is not discontinued, or if the medication is withdrawn and then resumed. You should talk to your doctor about the abacavir HSR.

There are reasons to prefer that lamivudine remain in a regimen with abacavir and efavirenz, and I would advise returning to lamivudine when it becomes available - IF there were not major adherence lapses that might significantly increase the chance of lamivudine resistance.

I urge you to talk to your doctor about your experience and these answers to your questions.

I would also urge you to consider a second opinion from Dr. Jevtovic of Belgrade University if necessary.

WHY NOT UNDETECTABLE
testing and resistance