Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rate of Progression Question
Jul 16, 2006

My partner has been infected for 2 years and recently started taking medication about 3 months ago when his CD4 count dropped to about 200. He had his first test since taking the meds and his viral load is undetectable but his CD4 only went up to 275.

My partner also has chronic fatigue syndrome and the epstein barr virus which I believe effect the immune system but I was curious to know if with the medication his CD4 count will continue to rise or possibly what the outlook is for his future.

Response from Dr. Sherer

The average response to ART is around 100 CD4 cell rise in the first year, but there is a wide range of responses. Your partner's response is a good one - 75 cells in the first 3 months is fine, and suggests that he may exceed the average.

People with HIV-related opportunistic infections or CD4 cell counts below 200 tend to have lower CD4 cell rises than those who have never had either condition.

Fatigue is a common and vexing problem with HIV, but your partner should continue to talk to his doctor about it. It can be caused by HIV itself, and respond very well to ART; it can be caused by OIs; and it can be caused or aggravated by the ART itself. Multiple trials to address the fatigue are a good idea, often simple trial and error. He should not get discouraged that the ART did not magically resolve it. Sometimes it takes time - and sometimes it is only improved without completely resolving.

Most importantly, he will get the best possible result from his ART if he takes every dose without missing doses.

I urge you and him to talk to his doctor about this response.

Previous
Pre Resistant to Sustiva
Next
Update on "5 Doses Missed"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.