Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

New AIDS pt. just starting in future (cocktails or injetions?)
Jun 25, 2006

Dear Carol, I am the mother of pt. He will be entering a study, Stanford Univ.( after July 4th,06 they will place him in (Special Group) My fear is: he is in denial, recently became employed St.Clara Cty.(remains under 9 month probation)How can he adhere to Strict-Regimen when care-free lifestyle and routine has not changed? Also, as a nurse and mom, I have become helper...How can I help him maintain positive outlook for next 9-10 months; to say least so he is active, insured, not becomes depressed?

Response from Ms. Salisbury

Hi, You sound like the kind of mom who really cares. Not every HIV-positive patient is so lucky. Your son needs to adjust to his diagnosis. He needs a support system and you are part of that. He also needs to take his diagnosis seriously. Starting HIV treatment is sometimes difficult if he does not understand the disease and importance of adherence. Resistance is a result of poor adherence to HIV meds.

Encourage him to read about his infection and understand that it can be treated very effectively. HIV is sometimes referred to as a "chronic disease" like diabetes. The problem is that a diabetic can miss doses of their meds and they will still work. HIV treatment doesn't work that way. Support groups can help you both adjust to this disease. Talking to other patients/family members can help with acceptance.

Take time for yourself too. Don't let this consume you. Don't be afraid to ask for depression treatment for your son if he needs it.

Encourage healthy behaviors such as three meals a day, exercise three to four times a week, smoking cessation, limited use of alcohol etcetera.

You are a nurse and that makes us want to take care of the world and especially our children but you must remember to encourage your son to take care of himself too, he will live a long life with a positive attitude. Carol

Previous
New to fuzeon starting Dec 05 Benefits
Next
missed does of fuseon

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.