HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

clarificatoin on testing?

is a negative result at 4 1/2 months on a salive test goor/reliable after a low risk exposure(fingering?) thank you

Response from Dr. Little

The OraSure testing system is generally thought to be an excellent screening tool and will give the correct result in close to 99% of cases in a clinical trial setting. I am not sure how soon after exposure and infection that these tests become accurate, but I would doubt any test result performed in the first two months following an exposure. By 4-6 months, most individuals (but not all) will have developed a positive antibody response which should be picked up by the oral test. The difficulty is ensuring that the test is done properly (ie directions followed correctly) and that the sample is shipped in a timely fashion. I expect that if all was done correctly and your oral test 4 months after an exposure came back negative, then you are indeed negative. This can always be confirmed by using a standard blood test for antibody which can be done anonymously at most public health departments, or repeat the oral test after the 6 month mark.

symptoms but (-) EIA result
syphilis & HIV