HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Fuzeon with SSR5 Trial Study Meds

Hi Carol, After 20 years of HIV+ treatment, I became resistive to ALL HAART medication combinations in 2005. I then began Fuzeon (injectable) treatment, December 2005. In order for the Fuzeon to work effectively, I also began SSR5 Trial Study medication to provide necessary active supplemental medication. SR4 count rose from 67 to 587, SR4% from 7% to 16%, and Viral Load decreaseed from 587,000 to Undetectable.

This may be a solution for a paitient on Fuzeon, but the supplement backups are failing and becoming inactive, and therefore it appears that the Fuzeon treatment is failing as well. SSR5 provides a new class of treatment not included in HAART.

Your comments to me would be appreciated.

Alan in San Antonio

Response from Ms. Salisbury

Hi Alan, I am aware of the new Entry Inhibitors that you speak of. They are specific to the receptor sites on the T cell. They prevent the HIV from attaching to the T-cell. Therefore, the virus is unable to infect the T cell. There are a couple new ones on the market. The one I know that is in expanded access is made by Pfizer and is called Maraviroc. The others are a little behind in marketing. They are aplaviroc and vicriviroc. They are showing very good response in patients that have the specific receptor site that is named CCR5. There are usually two receptor sites on the T-cell -- CCR5 and CXCR4. Genetics (what you get at birth) predict our receptor sites on the T cell. Unfortunately, some people have only the CXCR4 receptor sites therefore the new Entry Inhibitors will not stop the virus from infecting the T-cell.

We have learned a lot about the HIV virus and now can explain why some people never get the HIV infection and some get a less infectious form. It all has to do with the receptor sites on the T cell.

I am pleased you are responding to this new class of HIV treatment. Good luck and know there are many new drugs coming in the next few years. There will be a new protease inhibitor soon. Carol

Been On Fuzeon
Hello