HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

resistance

hi Dr. i was diagnosed with HIV about 4 years ago, I started treatment about 2 and a half, yet last year my medical insurance changed laboratories and i was provided with the same meds but from a different lab. i stopped treatment conscious of resistance, my Dr didn't ordered any more CVs till this year, I got the results about a month ago and the results came out to be less than 100, similar to my last exams about a year ago. I feel very lucky to have got these results and now I starting my treatment once again. on the other hand my boyfriend needs to feel a bit more confident bout the risks and preventions we need in order to continue our relationship. he loves me and i love him, I just don't want to lose him. thank you Dr,

Response from Dr. Sherer

Since you are happy about the value of less than 100, I will assume you are referring to a viral load result, and not a CD4 cell count.

Still, I am not sure of the question. I agree with you that you can safely resume your previous regimen with your doctor, and observe whether you have the same response or not. And I agree that with this low viral load, there is a reasonable chance that the same regimen will be successful.

Your boyfriend needs more confidence - why? If you are following safe sex recommendations, then his safety is protected to the degree possible, though that is not 100%. Is that why? Or are you suggesting that because your viral load is low, it is safe to have unprotected sex? If that is your point, then I do not agree, because you can transmit HIV, even though your viral load is very low, i.e. below detection.

Perhaps you can resubmit your question and explain your question more clearly. Also, please take such questions and your boyfriend to see your doctor, who can answer such questions, and even more, in the privacy of the examination room - a better place for such candor that this email advice site.

maeby changing medication
Old resistance to 3tc and use of combivir