Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what type
Jun 12, 2006

what type of patch or medication do i have to take to stop doing crystal meth.

Response from Dr. Sherer

Crystal meth (or speed, amphetamine) addiction is very difficult to treat, but there are many important steps that you can take to get off crystal meth, and this is one of them, i.e. asking the right question.

First, you can't do it alone. Is there a friend or family member that you trust that you can share this with? It will help alot not to have to bear this burden alone.

Next, I urge you to go to your doctor, or to a drug treatment center, and disclose that you are taking crystal meth, whether or not you believe yourself to be 'addicted'. This is the first step, and they will help you with all of the other steps.

There are many drugs that can be useful to ease the discomfort of withdrawal from crystal meth; their use would require a phsycian with experience in addictions, and in the management of amphetamine addiction. Also, in my opinion, you would benefit greatly from the counsel of one who had himself or herself recovered from addiction to crystal meth. (see below for sources of information)

So thank you for this question - you made my day! Don't stop with a single answer from this internet information service - seek help from your doctor, or from a drug treatment facility in your area. You won't regret it. Do it now.

The Body has more information on crystal meth use and recovery on this page:

http://www.thebody.com/whatis/druguse_rec_specific.html#meth_overview

In addition, from a brief internet search on google, I found the following sites with information about crystal meth addiction:

Drug and Alcohol Detox Center Directory - Crystal Meth

Open Directory - Health: Addictions: Substance Abuse: Support Groups

Description of Crystal Meth Anonymous Website

The Center - Resources - Crystal Meth Information

LA Shanti: Emotional Support Services for HIV and Cancer

Seattle Counseling Service

CAMH: Information about Crystal MethInformation about Crystal Meth

Good luck!

Previous
virual load & cell count
Next
maeby changing medication

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.