HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

two readings of Viral load plus 700

I have been undetectable for several years and now have had viral break out at VL 700 plus my T cell count is about 400 and falling should i change to Truvada, Reyataz and Novir immediately

Response from Dr. Sherer

No, I would not be quick to make a change based on this information after such prolonged good success. I would advise you and your doctor to promptly obtain a third viral load and a genotype test, which on occasion will yield a result in spite of a viral load below 1,000 copies/ml. On occassion, blips last longer than a week or two, and its also possible that you are seeing two consecutive blips. I would also review your adherence, and other possible influences on the viral load in the recent past such as viral infections or vaccinations.

I suggest you take this important question and this answer and talk to your doctor about your next steps, and I would wonder, what was his or her advice when you received the second value?

Does Mutations mean Resistant?
geno test results