HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

viral load jump after 2 yrs on HAART

I've been on Kaletra, Viread and Amprenavir combo for 2yrs with an undetectable viral load. CD 4's increased from 50 to 400 over that period. Prior to that I've been on various other combos which never got the virus to "undetectable".

6 months back, I changed amprenavir to the new fosamprenavir. Now the viral load has jumped to 5,000. CD4's have jumped from 400(3 months ago) to 700. Could you pls explain what could be happening here and what I should be doing. I am worried. Thanks a bunch.

Response from Dr. Sherer

I will offer some observations, but I would urge you to take them and your questions to your own physician, who has much more information that is relevant to your current situation than I do, including, for example, what previous ART you have been treated with, and the outcomes of each, your previous resistance test results (if any), etc.

That your CD4 cell count continues to increase is good news - I would also urge you to look at the CD4 cell percentage with your physician, as it is less subject to the wide variation that we see in CD4 cells counts above 4-500; it would also help you distinguish between a significant increase in CD4 cell count and an insignificant one.

15-20% of patients may have a 'CD4-viral load disconnect' of this kind, i.e. in which the CD4 cells appear to increase in spite of viremia. The first question to ask is, is this a mere 'blip' or temporary elevation in viral load; because it is 5,000, and most blips are 50 -1,000, it is less likely to be a blip.

If this is true breakthrough viremia, the question is, why is it happening? Has your adherence to this regimen changed at all? Lower adherence is a common cause for virologic failure.

Other possible causes in your case include reduced potency of the regimen due to your change from amprenavir to fos-amprenavir. Unfortunately, the combination of fos-amprenavir and kaletra has less predictable pharmacokinetics than amprenavir and kaletra; for this reason, many physicians avoid that combination.

Finally, some patients with viremia of this kind have reduced viral fitness caused by the continued presence of the ART that may reduce the ability of the virus to cause clinical disease progression and reduced CD4 cells.

The next step is for repeat CD4 and viral load, and a resistance test to determine whether new acquired drug resistance is responsible for this change.

As above, I suggest that you talk to your physician about this issue.

new medications, any that will work?
HAART vacation 2 months 0-242,000 v.l.; will 489 CD4s prevent mutations