HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

new medications, any that will work?

My boyfreind has had full blown AIDS for almost 13 years. I have known him only 6 months but have fallen very much in love with this man. We are very careful but I am going to get tested for peace of mind this Tuesday. He was honest and upfront from day one. He has had many different treatments over the years and has found none that really worked for him. He has had "0" T-cells since after the 1st year and over the years his viral load just continues to climb. He is at 750,000 right now as of his last test. Is there any possilbe new (even experimental) drugs he could try? Also he has been so fatigued lately, is there anything particular he can take to try to boost his energy levels? So far he has lead a fairly normal life for 13 years and calls himself Superman because he has survived this long against all odds, but he is getting really worried now and is (I believe) getting desperate for more help. If you have any suggestions he would certainly take it to his normal Dr on his next visit! Thanks so much, A Worried and loving Partner

Response from Dr. Sherer

Yes, there may be treatments that would help him now. This is one of the bright areas of research in the past few years, i.e. new drugs that are active against virus resistant to all current drugs, as well as drugs that act on new targets in the virus life cycle.

So my advice to you and him is to ask his HIV physician, with all of his past treatment, response, and resistance test data in hand, these questions, so that you and he can get a well informed opinion of drugs and regimens that might be helpful to him.

Specific drugs to ask about include tipranavir and enfurvitide, both of which are on the market, and TMC-114, which is available by expanded access. Tipranivir is a new protease inhibitor with activity against multi-PI resistant virus, and enfurvitide is the first fusion inhibitor that acts at the new target of viral entry into the body. In trials in which both of these drugs were used for the first time, as many as one half of patients had viral suppression below detection and a rise of 50 CD4 cells. Other entry inhibitors are currently in development as well.

Adherence question.
viral load jump after 2 yrs on HAART