Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Adherence question.
Jan 23, 2006

Dear Doctor; Please Define in detail the term "100% ADHERENCE" for those of us unsure.

Regards.

Response from Dr. Sherer

My definition of 100% adherence would be that a person has taken each and every dose of medication as prescribed.

HIV doctors are in the difficult position of having to advise their patients to be 'perfect' when it comes to adherence, though we know that people are not perfect. So we are really urging them to be as near perfect as possible, in order to get the best possible benefit from these medications.

The newer ART regimens have the advantage of being somewhat 'forgiving', which is also a useful term to define. "Forgiving" in this context means able to make up - to some extent - for the fact that people are not perfect. Regimens with boosted PIs and with efavirenz or nevirapine have the advantage of high drug levels that may allow a late dose occassionally, or even a missed dose, though I would never encourage a patient to miss a single dose.

I hope that's helpful. Don't forget to ask your doctor what he or she means by 100% adherence as well.

Previous
Sustiva And Epzicom
Next
new medications, any that will work?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.