HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Sustiva-Truvada Timing

Hi.. I've been on very successful treatment with sustiva/truvada for 14 months; cd4 from 290 to 729, VL 330,000 to undetectable, 24% to 27% within 6 months. I always dose at 11-11:30pm. How much leeway is it generally believed I have in timing? I ask, because I'm travelling to LA from NYC for a few days and prefer to dose before bed. (I have never missed a dose.)

Response from Dr. Sherer

The best answer is to maintain your fine record of dosing every 24 hours as closely as possible. One advantage of your regimen is that all three drugs have half lives that exceed 24 hours, and there is some flexibility in the dosing interval. Nonetheless, the safest solution is to use modestly shorter intervals, eg of 20-24 hours, to make the coast to coast transition.

The three hour time difference and the five hour flight will require you to make some adjustments. My suggestion is that you shorten the interval between doses slightly in order to maintain your pattern of evening dosing without any risk of exceeding the 24 hour dosing interval.

ART Resistance, 1st line, 2nd line
AZT resistance