HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

results resistance test

Dear Docter,

My girfriend get her results back from her test: zidovudine (AZT) No Evidence of Resistance didanosine (ddl) No Evidence of Resistance ddc Possible Resistance lamivodine (3tc)yemtricitabine (FTC) Resistance abc and tdf No Evidence of Resistanc NVP DLV Resistance EFV Possible Resistance. Till this moment she use drug name Gpovir (nevirapine + 3TC + d4T) but also have a problem with lypostrafie. She will have to change her drugs i guess, but can you let me know which combination will be good for her and also that she not get problem with lypostrafie. Thanks, regards,

Naam

Response from Dr. Sherer

Unfortunately, the results of the resistanc test show that the current regimen of NVP + 3TC + D4T is no longer active due to resistance to both NVP and 3TC. You should also assume that efavirenz (Stocrin) will also no longer be active.

The usual next line regimen in this situation is a boosted PI, such as lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra) or saquinavir/ritonavir (Invirase), combined with a second generation NRTI such as tenofovir, abacavir, or didanosine. Many physicians would also continue lamivudine (or emtricitabine - FTC) due to evidence that there is still antiviral activity (even with resistance), and evidence that the virus's ability to replicate is impaired when this resistance mutation is present. The second line drugs also are associated with a lesser chance of lipoatrophy. These choices will depend on the drugs that are available to you in your country.

I suggest that you talk to your doctor about these options.

Low CD4
Drugs supressing CD4 count