Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

No Meds ??
Nov 22, 2005

my brother is 33 has had HIV/AIDS for 10 yrs cd4's are 0 and have been for a long time. dr has taken him off all meds except morphine to ease any pain question now remains how long do i expect him to live w/o meds? and second he lives with me what do i expect? sorry for 2 questions Thanks Reva

Response from Dr. Sherer

It is not possible to answer this question with the information you have provided. Patients can live for months or even years with 0 CD4 cells. The answer more likely depends on what other HIV-related infections and conditions your brother has. I suggest that you ask his doctor the same question, as he or she may be able to offer a more informed range of his likely survival based on a better understanding of his full medical history.

His doctor may also be able to better prepare you for what will happen next, depending on his condition. Rather than dying from HIV itself, most patients die from the infections or tumors that occur because of the immune suppression caused by HIV. Here again, the specifics of his case may offer more insight.

In many countries there are hospice organizations that specialize in providing exactly this kind of assistance to the families of people with terminal illnesses of all kinds. They offer support and information to the families, and comfort and care to the patient themselves. For example, they often specialize in pain control to relieve suffering. I am glad to hear that your brother's physician is addressing this important aspect of your brother's condition.

Also in most countries there are support groups for people living with HIV and their families that offer support and information about dealing with HIV/AIDS, and often they include support for people who are near the end of their lives. I wish you well in this difficult time.

Previous
fast drop in cd4 count
Next
Low CD4

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.